Sadiq Khan ‘trying to wipe out our history’ Laurence Fox claims as he launches mayoral bid
Sadiq Khan ‘trying to wipe out our history’ says Laurence Fox
When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.
Laurence Fox, the leader of the Reclaim Party said he had been inspired to try and topple City Hall incumbent Sadiq Khan at the May 6 election after the Chancellor revealed at the Budget that the coronavirus response had seen the Government borrow £407billion. He also hit out at the Mayor of London’s commission to examine the diversity of statues, plaques and street names in the capital. Speaking to Express.co.uk, Mr Fox said: “We’ve got a Mayor who is trying to wipe out our history.
“It’s not his to obliterate so in order to protect our culture and right to freedom of speech and to have a central view on London that isn’t on what Sadiq Khan thinks is and isn’t appropriate.
“This is a very diverse city and there are lots of people who don’t agree with him on this as polling shows in tearing down statues, the politicisation of the police force and all the things he’s done.
“He’s in charge of those things and he’s turned it into a political hellscape, I think so he’s not being very pro-London.
“I think London needs someone optimistic and someone who is interested in getting people back to work who wants them to get on with their own lives.”
Mr Fox has become an outspoken critic against both COVID-19 lockdowns and so-called “wokeism”.
The television and film actor faced a backlash online in November for a tweet in which he claimed to have had people over for dinner and appeared to criticise the NHS.
“Just had a large group over to lunch and we hugged and ate and talked and put the world to rights,” he said.
“If the NHS can’t cope, then the NHS isn’t fit for purpose.”
Sadiq Khan: Toby Young calls for mayor to ‘resign’
The announcement comes only days after Mr Khan kicked off his own campaign to be re-elected as the Mayor of London by calling for a post-war style economic recovery package for the capital.
The former Labour minister said that “jobs, jobs, jobs” for Londoners affected by the coronavirus crisis will be a top priority if he wins a fresh mandate in the May election.
Mr Khan described the forthcoming contest – postponed from last year due to the pandemic – as a “two-horse race” between himself and Conservative candidate Shaun Bailey.
The Labour candidate has been accused of “broken promises” by his Tory rival, who claims that Mr Khan has failed to deliver on a number of pledges in his 2016 manifesto.
Sadiq Khan faces calls to resign over Sarah Everard vigil [INSIGHT]
For the love of our country Sadiq Khan must go, says BEN HABIB [COMMENT]
London crisis: Khan told he made ‘tragic’ difference as Mayor [ANALYSIS]
In his first speech of the campaign, held virtually alongside Labour’s deputy leader Angela Rayner, Mr Khan said he believed that the capital could be an “even better city after the pandemic than it was before”.
He referred to his own experiences growing up in the capital and called for a programme of economic recovery similar to that implemented in 1945 after the Second World War.
“I grew up in a London that was still fundamentally shaped by the great reforming Labour government of 1945,” he said on Thursday afternoon.
“A government that not only rebuilt our country from the ashes of the Second World War but established a new and lasting social contract between the state and the British people.”
Express.co.uk has contacted The Mayor of London’s office for comment.
Source: Read Full Article