Friday, 12 Aug 2022

Baby ‘burned by cleaning bleach at nursery’ could be ‘scarred for life’

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

The parents of a baby allegedly burned by a bucket of hot water with bleach in it while under the care of nursery staff have called for it to be shut down.

Blake Nilssen, who was just 10 months old at the time, suffered second-degree burns an unattended cleaning bucket toppled over on him.

The youngster was reportedly trying to stand up at the Little Dreams Nursery in Aberdeen when it happened.

According to reports, staff covered him in paper towel, but blisters started to form after removing the covering.

Staff allegedly failed to give immediate emergency treatment as they waited for his parents to arrive, rather than calling emergency services, according to the report by the Care Inspectorate, who are investigating.

A Care Inspectorate report into the incident states: "Blake suffered significant, prolonged discomfort because the staff did not take effective action and call the emergency services."

Mum Ellie Johnson, 27, and dad Daryl Nilssen are now considering legal action over the incident, and have also warned parents about similar incidents happening.

Ms Johnson said: “Blake faces being scarred for life and now we have a constant fear of knowing who to trust to take care of our son in the future.

“Little Dreams Nursery should be closed – this is utterly indefensible.

“They said the water had a bit of bleach in it but that was it.

“There was no urgency in their voice. We opened the door and heard the most horrific screaming.

“It was chilling, then we realised it came from our little boy.

“There’s no words to describe the fear we felt at that moment.”

At Aberdeen Royal Infirmary medics repeatedly rinsed Blake in a special shower room over 90 minutes and monitored the pH of his skin.

A plastic surgeon burst the blisters and treated them with aloe vera gel before bandaging affected areas, and he was also given small doses of morphine to ease the pain and help him sleep.

The next day the tot was put under general anaesthetic for a “skin scrub” – his burns were dressed in six layers of bandages to aid healing and prevent infection.

For more of the latest news from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up for one of our newsletters here.

Blake was injured on Thursday, November 4 in the "baby room" of the nursery.

The couple made 10 complaints to the Care Inspectorate, sparking an immediate investigation. On Thursday, November 11 an on-site inspection was carried out.

Investigators said staff gave “differing accounts of what happened” which also differed from the incident forms.

Inspectors also described nursery supervision as “ineffective” and criticised their use of paper towels and failing to call an ambulance – eight requirements were ordered against the nursery including making sure staff are first-aid trained and aware of emergency procedures.

Other requirements included improvements to nursery housekeeping, awareness of whistleblowing policies and the ongoing training of staff.

The Daily Star has contacted the nursery for comment.

  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article

Best News