Monday, 29 Nov 2021

Baby hospitalised after eating mouse poo in cot as mum desperate to escape flat

A young mum had to take her baby boy to A&E after mice found their way into his cot and he ate their droppings, giving the tot a nasty virus.

Kelly Angus, 23, has had to seek help for her mental health because her flat is so badly infested with the creatures.

She and her one-year-old son Tommy moved to the property on Benhill Wood Road, Sutton, Surrey two months ago – and she's already caught over 20 mice during her time there, reports MyLondon.

Kelly said: “I went to check on him at about 1am and I saw he had eaten the poo. I grabbed him and thought he would be alright.

“[But] when I took his temperature it was 40, so I took him to hospital. When they took it a couple of hours later after giving him paracetamol it went down to 38.”

Tommy was in the hospital for around seven hours.

“They told me to give him ibuprofen and if anything changes to call someone,” said Kelly.

“They said he had picked up a virus.”

  • Carer trapped in rat-infested home covered in droppings and dead rodents

Kelly said her baby boy is "constantly sick and coughing" and regularly suffers with fevers and projectile vomiting.

The first-floor flat has one bedroom – which Tommy sleeps in – while Kelly sleeps on a sofa bed in the lounge.

But since the incident took place, the mother and son have been sharing a bed because Kelly is so scared mice will crawl on Tommy while he sleeps.

  • Family's mouldy flat anguish as they say 'new spores grow on toddlers' bed every week'

She has complained to Sutton Housing Partnership (SHP) – which manages the area's Council homes – since she moved in, but claims a maintenance worker visited once to set traps and that nothing more was done.

Despite Kelly setting her own traps and trying to fill in any gaps she can find, she said mice are chewing through her food, furniture and baby’s clothes.

  • Family stuck in mouldy 'slum' estate with 'mice nests in kitchen and slugs in bath'

She said she had to be given an emergency loan by Sutton Council last week to get a new fridge-freezer because mice had chewed through the wires of her old one.

“I see them running and playing quite a few of them come out at once, you can hear them in the walls and ceiling,” Kelly said.

“The council put poison down and I smell the dead mice, that’s why everything gets bleached and I always have scented candles on.

  • Woman wakes up to mouse chewing her eyeball as shocking rodent plague rages on

“My mental health has gone completely down, I went to the doctors and they have given me counselling.

“The first time I saw a mouse was May 20, why did they put me in a property which they knew had mice?”

She added: “I just want to be somewhere that I feel clean, somewhere where the baby is happy.”

In the past few weeks she has also noticed a damp patch forming on one of the walls and orange mould on the ceiling of her son’s bedroom.

To keep up to date with all the Daily Star's stories, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here .

A spokesperson for SHP said the company is “doing all it can” to resolve the infestation.

They said: “Our pest control contractor has visited regularly since her first report and will inspect the rest of the block again this week to see if treating a wider area will help.

“Our pest control contractor has contacted residents in the block and will be treating the issue until it’s resolved.”

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

Kelly said the SHP has told her she can be moved to a studio flat, but this would involve paying to put many of her belongings into storage as they would not fit.

She added: “Mentally I cannot do this. I have all my furniture and cannot afford storage.”

Source: Read Full Article

Best News