Concerns after Queen ‘stayed at hospital to avoid late trip home’, says expert
Buckingham Palace has been accused of misleading the public about the Queen's wellbeing after the 95-year-old spent a night in hospital, experts claim.
It comes as the statement released by officials is said to have included three words that have raised 'alarm bells', says Daniela Elser, royal correspondent for NewsAU.
On Wednesday the palace announced that the Queen had "reluctantly accepted medical advice” to rest on the advice of her doctors and was cancelling her upcoming two-day tour of Northern Ireland.
Last week, the longest-reigning sovereign was seen using a cane when arriving at a service at Westminster Abbey, and previous reports claimed she has given up drinking to preserve her health ahead of the Platinum Jubilee next year.
Palace officials said that she was resting at Windsor, reassuring the British public that Her Majesty wasn't facing any serious health issues.
On Friday, Buckingham Palace revealed that two days prior – on Wednesday – when Her Majesty was said to be "resting", she had actually been admitted to the private King Edward VII hospital in London’s Marylebone.
However, sources claimed to The Sun the Queen stayed the night as it was too late to 'take her home'.
In a statement, the palace said: "Following medical advice to rest for a few days, the Queen attended hospital on Wednesday afternoon for some preliminary investigations, returning to Windsor Castle at lunchtime today (Thursday) and remains in good spirits."
But the statement has rung alarm bells for some due to the similarity with previous statements about the health of Prince Phillip, who was admitted to the same hospital in February.
The palace said at the time he had been admitted on the advice of doctors and that he was "in good spirits."
The Duke later passed away on April 9 two months before his 100th birthday.
The BBC’s royal editor, Nicholas Witchell, told BBC Breakfast that the media had not "been given the complete picture" in regards to the Queen's health.
Palace sources have stressed that the decision not to announce her hospital admission was due to the Queen's entitlement to medical privacy and that it was only going to be for a short stay for some preliminary investigations.
The Queen is now back in Windsor Castle and is expected to spend the weekend recovering.
For the latest breaking news from the Royal Family and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Source: Read Full Article