Coronavirus victims’ bodies found abandoned in care home by horrified soldiers
The bodies of pensioners who died from coronavirus have been found abandoned at a care home in Spain, it has been reported.
State prosecutors announced they are investigating the care home in the capital Madrid after regional health chiefs said at least 21 residents had died.
Last week, the Spanish military was mobilised to disinfect elderly care homes after the extent of the crisis became clear.
Health chiefs confirmed on Monday that a further 21 people had died at the Domus Vi care home in Alcoy near the British holiday hotspot of Alicante.
The places where the bodies have been "abandoned" have not been identified.
Speaking on Spanish TV, the country's Defence Minister Margarita Robles said: "The army, during some visits, has seen elderly people absolutely abandoned, if not dead in their beds.
"We are going to be implacable and forceful when it comes to ensuring our pensions receive the proper treatment in these residences."
The discovery of coronavirus victims' bodies at other homes visited by members of Spain's military emergency unit (UME) is expected to lead to more probes being launched by prosecutors to see if any crimes have been committed.
Spain saw a record 462 deaths from the disease in the past day, bringing the total death toll to 2,207.
The country has seen more than 33,000 cases of the virus to date.
Only China, Italy and the USA have seen more cases.
Earlier today, horror footage emerged showing coughing coronavirus patients forced to lie on the floor at a hospital in Madrid.
In other parts of Spain, authorities have found families living with the bodies of their loved ones after paramedics were too swamped to recover the corpses.
The Defence Minister insisted that the majority of elderly care homes were properly caring for their residents, adding: "The full weight of the law will be brought to bear on those who don't fulfil their obligations."
UK's coronavirus death rate overtakes Italy and China at same stage of pandemic
But despite the assurance, hospitals in Madrid are running at maximum capacity, as the city recorded almost 10,000 cases of the virus.
Spanish newspaper El Mundo reported that one hospital in Madrid stopped admitting more patients as they were overrun.
Trade union representative Javier Garcia called the situation in the city "dramatic" and warned that emergency wards were operating "at three times its capacity" with patients forced to wait for more than 30 hours to be seen.
Additional reporting by Gerard Couzens.
Source: Read Full Article