Sunday, 28 Nov 2021

Liverpool bomb was covered in deadly ball bearings and may have blown up early

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

The Liverpool Women's Hospital bomb may have blown up accidentally and was made with ball bearings attached to it to act as shrapnel, police have said.

One minute before the UK fell silent on Remembrance Day Al Swealmeen blew up a taxi outside Liverpool Women's Hospital after hero driver David Perry locked him inside.

Mr Perry miraculously escaped the explosion alive but Al Swealmeen, who changed his name to Enzo Almeni, died from the explosive device he had been building for months.

In a statement released by police, they reveal that the "homemade explosive had ball bearings attached to it" which if detonated in different circumstances "would have caused significant injury or death".

The terror suspect had been building a bomb since April, counter terrorism police say.

Iraq-born asylum seeker Emad Al Swealmeen started buying parts for his homemade device in Spring.

"We continue to make significant progress in relation to the CT Incident at the Liverpool Women's Hospital," the police statement read.

The police statement continued: "It was made using homemade explosive and had ball bearings attached to it which would have acted as shrapnel. Had it detonated in different circumstances we believe it would have caused significant injury or death."

It is not yet confirmed how or why the device exploded in the taxi but the police say it is a "possibility that the movement of the vehicle or its stopping caused the ignition."

The statement added: "We are spending considerable time seeking to understand the way the purchases for the ingredients to make the device were made. This is complicated because purchases have spanned many months and Al Swealmeen has used many aliases.

"We are confident however that in time we will get a full picture of what purchases were made and how, and if anyone else was involved or knew what Al Swealmeen was up to.

"We have found no connection between this incident and the terrible events of Manchester in May 2017. The device was also different to the one used in the Manchester Arena Attack.

"The investigation is still moving at a very fast pace and will continue into the weekend and the coming weeks."

Source: Read Full Article

Best News