Thursday, 8 Dec 2022

Prince Harry ‘wanted Windsor Castle but only got Frogmore Cottage’, book claims

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle wanted to move to Windsor Castle but were given Frogmore Cottage, according to royal author Katie Nicholls.

Katie, in her book The New Royals, quotes the late Queen’s close friend Lady Elizabeth Anson, as saying that the Duke and Duchess had been disappointed with the Queen's gift of the historic Grade II listed home, as they were hoped for a suite of apartments in Windsor Castle itself.

Lady Elizabeth told Katie "The cottage was a big deal."

READ MORE: 'Panicking' Prince Harry wants to make 'last-ditch changes' to book after Queen's death

"The Queen's entrance into the gardens is right next to their cottage," she said, "It is essentially her back yard, her solitude, and her privacy.

"She was giving that up in gifting Harry and Meghan Frogmore Cottage. We all thought it was very big of her.

"She said, 'I hope they'll respect it.' "

But despite the "generous gesture" the couple didn’t remain in Frogmore long.

In January 2020 the Duke of Sussex sent an email to his father, telling him that he and Meghan were unhappy.

Harry explained that they wanted to move to the US, according to author Valentine Low, and “seemed to be under the impression that they could just sort it out by email before he and Meghan got back to London”.

  • William and Harry 'drove by each other' before reversing for chance drive-by chat

After crisis talks with the rest of the royal family, Harry and Meghan then made their dramatic move to the US.

In the following September, the couple went on to repay the taxpayer for the £2.4million cost of refurbishing Frogmore Cottage.

A spokesman for the couple said they had paid for the refurbishment in full. He said: “A contribution has been made to the sovereign grant by the Duke of Sussex.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here .

"This contribution as originally offered by Prince Harry has fully covered the necessary renovation costs of Frogmore Cottage, a property of Her Majesty the Queen, and will remain the UK residence of the duke and his family.”

The settlement was made as Harry and Meghan’s multimillion-dollar deal with Netflix gave them full financial independence.

“They are not receiving support in any way shape or form from any external person other than themselves,” a spokesperson said.

The Daily Star has contacted a representative for the Duke and Duchess for comment.

READ NEXT:

  • Charles and Camilla's 'secret son' angry at dead 'gran' Queen for ignoring his pleas
  • Why Prince Philip's body will be moved to final resting place after Queen's funeral
  • How to watch Queen's funeral on TV and online – time, channel and schedule
  • Queen's funeral procession full route: Timings and viewing areas to see ceremonial event
  • Unseen portrait of beaming Queen Elizabeth II released on eve of her funeral

Source: Read Full Article

Best News