Sunday, 28 Nov 2021

Royals look solemn at Remembrance Sunday service after Queen pulls out attending

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Kate Middleton and Prince William looked solemn as they arrived for the Remembrance Sunday service – hours after the Queen announced she wouldn't be attending.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were joined for the poignant occasion by other royals, including Princess Anne and Prince Edward.

Prince Charles, who celebrates his 73rd birthday today, laid a wreath on the top step of the Cenotaph on his mother's behalf.

Buckingham Palace announced just after 9am, that the Queen had a sprained back and "with great regret" would not attend. It had earlier this week been confirmed she would.

Today's event would have been her first duty in public after her hospital stay last month. The injury is unrelated to recent medical advice for her to rest.

Her Majesty, 95, has only ever missed six other Remembrance Sunday services.

One serviceman said "it must be very serious" if the Queen is unable to attend.

Royal Navy Petty Officer Ben Shread, of the Combat Camera team, said: "It would be nice if the boss was here.

"She's the head of the armed services. I don't know if she has ever missed the Remembrance parade before. "So, if there is a reason she is not here it must be a very serious one. We all wish her well."

Meanwhile, members of the Royal Family led the nation in commemorating their war dead as the country fell silent.

  • Queen pulls out of Remembrance Sunday service after spraining back

The Prime Minister was among senior politicians and members of the royal family laying a wreath at the war memorial in central London for the National Service of Remembrance.

Boris Johnson said it was a moment to "come together to remember those who sacrificed everything in service of our country".

He continued: "It's a sacred ceremony that has endured for more than a century because we know the unpayable debt we owe those brave servicemen and women.

"We know that for our tomorrow they gave their today.

"And we know that here at home and around the world, thousands of men and women in uniform still stand ready to defend our unity and our way of life, our values, and at a cost few among us would be willing to pay".

The Royal British Legion (RBL), the UK's largest charity supporting the armed forces community, said the march would include hundreds of young people from the Cadets, Guides and Scouts.

"It is vital the torch of Remembrance is passed to younger generations and we're proud so many will be attending alongside veterans of all ages," said Bob Gamble, the RBL's assistant director for commemorative events.

He said: "Remembrance is part of the fabric of society, reminding us of our shared history, and today it continues to unite people of all backgrounds, communities, and generations."

Keep up to date with all the latest news stories. by signing up for one of Daily Star's free newsletters here.

  • Boris Johnson
  • Queen
  • Royal Family
  • Military
  • London
  • Kate Middleton Duchess Of Cambridge
  • Prince William
  • Prince Charles

Source: Read Full Article

Best News