Wednesday, 4 Aug 2021

Taliban horror: 22 Afghan commandos gunned down in cold blood after surrendering

China: Expert on 'deteriorating security' in Afghanistan

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

The recently surfaced video, taken on June 16, appears to follow a major battle between the Taliban and Afghan forces. The US-trained commandos were sent to the town of Dawlat Abad, in northern Faryab province, to recapture it from jihadist control.

However, after a two hour firefight, the commandos became surrounded.

With no air support or reinforcements, the soldiers were forced to surrender.

In the video shared with veterans network Funker530 last week, armed men can be seen herding the Afghan soldiers into a public square.

According to a translation from CNN, by-standers plead for the men not to be harmed.

“Don’t shoot them, don’t shoot them, I beg you don’t shoot them,” someone says in the local Pashto language.

The captors can then be heard shouting “Allahu Akbar” before unleashing dozens of rounds into the soldiers.

A second piece of footage shows the bodies of the men strewn across the ground.

After the massacre, a Taliban ground commander can be heard telling his men to strip the soldiers of their gear.

A witness who reportedly saw the incident told CNN: “The commandos were surrounded by the Taliban.

“Then they brought them into the middle of the street and shot them all.”

The Red Cross has confirmed the bodies of the 22 Afghan commandos have been recovered.

However, the Taliban claims the video is a hoax and that the commandos are being held captive, although they have not provided any proof.

The video was given to Funker530 from an anonymous source who hopes the footage will persuade army units that surrender is not necessarily the “safe” option.

The footage comes as British, American and other allied forces withdraw from Afghanistan after two decades of fighting.

The Taliban claims to be in control of around 80 percent of the country after retaking many rural areas from government forces.

DON’T MISS: 
Poland tipped to leave EU: ‘Just like the UK!’ [REVEAL]
You’re on your own, Emmanuel! Merkel breaks EU ranks with France [SPOTLIGHT]
Joe Biden defends decision to end Afghanistan operations [INSIGHT]

Last week, US president Joe Biden, defended the withdrawal of troops from the country, claiming the US objectives had already been completed.

He said: “We went for two reasons,” he said.

“One, to bring Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell, as I said at the time.

“The second reason was to eliminate Al Qaida’s capacity to deal with more attacks on the United States from that territory.

“We accomplished both of those objectives. Period.”

Almost 2,500 American personnel have been killed and 20,722 have been wounded in the war.

He added: “I will not send another generation of Americans to war in Afghanistan with no reasonable expectation of achieving a different outcome.”

Source: Read Full Article

Best News